Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Thanksgiving Dispatch

Paris (Nov. 23, 2006) -- What is this Thanksgiving you speak of?
This was the question sent before me last night, a little after midnight, by my neighbor Thomas and his lady friend of the evening (not to be confused with a lady of the night).
So, they said after my first of three attempts at explanation, it's likes Noel, but without presents?
Not really, I said, unaware that I should have ended my cultural teachings while I was ahead.
It's a day when Americans gather around with family and friends because they are happy for what they have, I said. There are no presents. They are thankful, I said, thinking this would be fairly easy to understand.
They came back at me with, "Thankful to God?"
Kind of. But it's not really a religious holiday, although most families do pray together at some point.
And where does this holiday come from? Ah, let the fun begin.
So the pilgrims (the pilgrims?), yes, the founders of the country -- some exaggerations have to be made in these circumstances and at this hour of the night -- were nearly starving and the Indians helped them survive. But then the pilgrims killed most of the
Indians, I added, since I thought this point was well worth noting.
But my adding of this historical point just perplexed my French friends even more since it made it sound like Americans are celebrating genocide. Add contemporary political joke here.
I tried to steer this careening ship back on course with the help of a second shot of Jack Daniels. Thomas had another as well.
As the shot was being poured I noticed that this conversation was yet another pebble of evidence to add to the growing pile of proof that the world does not revolve around the United States.
After the shot, I gave this question one final stab with a declaration that Thanksgiving is a time for Americans to spend time with friends and family, regardless of the historical basis of the anniversary.
Then I changed the subject.
Some things can't be described.
Thanksgiving day in Paris looked a lot like last Thursday.
To celebrate the holiday in some way I tried to go to Harry's New York Bar for their Thanksgiving buffet which was advertised in our paper. Alas, you had to have a reservation (although the entire upstairs dining area was empty), so I settled for a Bloody Mary. Harry's is the supposed birthplace of the drink.
Then I tried to go see the new James Bond movie, but it was not showing in time for me to get to work this afternoon.
I ended up at a restaurant called Culture Biere on the Champs Elysees. There was no turkey (or dinde in French) on the menu. I settled for chicken and a beer.
This evening at work we had a quasi Thanksgiving dinner. It's not the really the same when you're eating in front of a computer screen as opposed to a table.
There's a large neon sign near my apartment that I pass every night when I walk home. It's in bubble letters and both the color scheme and appearance is that of a rainbow. It's not an ad for anything. It says "Cry Me A River." It's a nice reminder when Kentucky feels like it's a long way away.
Bon Thanksgiving to all of you.
I'll see many of you soon when I'm back in the Commonwealth in early December.
Take care,
Brett